[Samba] Samba as an active directory

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jul 5 08:31:27 UTC 2020

On 04/07/2020 23:26, commandline at protonmail.com wrote:
> Are the 4 questions i postef in any way version related ? This being
> Debian i assume it is not a broken release made availble.
>
> My main concern is why rsat cannot connect due to the _ldap.... not
> resolving. It is as if there is something left unconfigured which is
> not mention in the user documentation.

There have been numerous changes since 4.5.16, some of which have to do
with your problem.

The latest Samba version is 4.12.5. Samba supports the last 3 major
releases, 4.10.x, 4.11.x and 4.12.x, but in different ways. The 4.12.x
releases will get full support, the 4.11.x releases get security support
and some of the bugfixes that have gone into 4.12, the 4.10.x releases
only get security fixes. When 4.13.0 is released (planned for
September), the 4.10.x versions will go EOL and the others will drop
down a support version.

The version you are using will not get any support from Samba if it
requires bugfixes, mainly because the bug may have been fixed in a later
version, so this is why I am suggesting you update. If, after you
update, your problem is still there, I am prepared to try to help you,
but I am disinclined to do so whilst you are using an EOL Samba version.

Rowland