[Samba] dns_tkey_gssnegotiate: TKEY is unacceptable

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jul 3 14:50:56 UTC 2020

On 03/07/2020 15:40, Robert E. Wooden via samba wrote:
> On 7/3/2020 9:31 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> Does 'sudo rm -f /var/lib/samba/private/dns.keytab' give you any hint
>> to which is the correct keytab ?
>>
>> Rowland
>>
> While waiting for your reply, I began checking my BIND9 setup.
>
> Having used many of Louis' "sed" strings instructions, one those
> strings direct "tkey-gssapi-keytab" to use
> "/var/lib/samba/_private_/dns.keytab".
>
> Changed it to: "/var/lib/samba/_bind-dns_/dns.keytab" and the DC, a
> few minutes ago, just finished updating properly.
>
> Thanks, our decision here pointed my to the correction needed.
>
> Now, I'll ask the obvious question. Why are there two "dsn.keytab"
> files? It is confusing.

I thought I explained that, but lets try again ;-)

Originally, Samba used /var/lib/samba/private for the dns.keytab and
other dns files. This was then found to be possibly insecure, so it was
decided to use /var/lib/samba/bind-dns instead. When you upgrade the
Samba packages, the old files are not removed, but the new ones are
created. You just need to make Bind9 etc use them.

Rowland