[Samba] Upgrade from 4.1.9-Zentyal to Version 4.7.6-Ubuntu

Mark b zoogate.1.markbann at spamgourmet.com
Mon Jan 20 00:35:33 UTC 2020

On 1/19/2020 4:52 PM, Mark b via samba wrote:
> On 1/19/2020 3:07 PM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> On 19/01/2020 19:29, Mark b via samba wrote:
>>> I upgrade from 4.1.9 to 4.7.6. Workstations are Win10 .
>>>
>>> I have a legacy program (Corel Paradox  using Borland BDE) that
>>> cannot properly access the network share.
>>>
>>> When starting the BDE creates lock files on the network share. The
>>> lock files are created but then it fails with a generic network that
>>> it cannot access the network file it just created. File is created
>>> by "nobody:sambashare" permissions 0664. Paradox and the BDE can
>>> only use SMB1.  SMB1 is added to windows 10.
>>>
>>> As a user I can manually delete the lock file either through mapped
>>> drive or UNC path.
>>>
>>> I don't see anything that looks like an error in the logs (log level
>>> 4).  I added ntlm auth=true to see if that did anything but no changes.
>>>
>>> Need help fast or I will have to role back the server upgrades
>>> tonight.  Is this a simple permission issue or SMB1 maybe?
>>>
>>> Samba vesion: Version 4.7.6-Ubuntu
>>>
>>> Samba as Primary Domain Controller  - simple file sharing
>>> Server name:  APPSERVER1.local
>>> Domain Name: LINGROUP
>>> Win 10 updated to all latest.  SMB1 added in Windows Features
>>>
>> Not sure this is a Samba problem, been a long time since I heard of
>> Borland, so I went searching and found a few posts that seem to say
>> that UAC is getting in the way, see here:
>>
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44348913/borland-database-engine-on-windows-10-1703
>>

>> And here:
>>
>> https://wiki.acstechnologies.com/display/PDSDioView/Unable+to+Edit+Borland+Database+Engine
>>

>> If you want my advice, roll Samba back and then go and find a
>> replacement for your Borland database. Anything that relies on SMBv1
>> is on the road to nowhere, SMBv1 is going away fast.
>>
>> Rowland
>>

> I'll guess I'll have to roll back (argh)for now but I don't think it
> is UAC. UAC issues have been around for the BDE for a while and most
> of the handful of people I know running it are doing OK, although some
> recent updates have caused issues with SMB2 and opportunistic
> locking.  Paradox and BDE are not running where they need elevated
> privileges.  We are evaluating  moving to postresql but it's a huge
> chore and most likely not worth the effort.  It can be done but it's
> not like there is a database abstraction layer we can just plug into.
>

> Well, crap, it just started working..... I had missed deleting one of
> the old lock files and then it almost worked except  Samba wasn't
> giving write permissions for the new lock files.  I add force create
> mode = 0774  to the share and that seems to be working.  I'll have to
> research that.  Not sure that is the right way to give permission but
> at least it is working.
>
> Thanks so much for replying on the Sunday afternoon!
>
> --

Jeez, I can never get these right.  In some directories the lock files
are created correctly and it others the group does not have write
access.  Is there a resource for dummies to help me with this?  As far
as I can tell there are not ACL's on the directories.  In fact, one I
recreated and copied the data over.

--

Mark B