[Samba] Upgrade from 4.1.9-Zentyal to Version 4.7.6-Ubuntu

Mark b zoogate.1.markbann at spamgourmet.com
Mon Jan 20 17:31:23 UTC 2020

On 1/19/2020 6:35 PM, Mark b via samba wrote:

> On 1/19/2020 4:52 PM, Mark b via samba wrote:

>>> Not sure this is a Samba problem, been a long time since I heard of
>>> Borland, so I went searching and found a few posts that seem to say
>>> that UAC is getting in the way, see here:
>>>
>>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44348913/borland-database-engine-on-windows-10-1703
>>>

>>> And here:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.acstechnologies.com/display/PDSDioView/Unable+to+Edit+Borland+Database+Engine
>>>

>>> If you want my advice, roll Samba back and then go and find a
>>> replacement for your Borland database. Anything that relies on SMBv1
>>> is on the road to nowhere, SMBv1 is going away fast.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>

>> I'll guess I'll have to roll back (argh)for now but I don't think it
>> is UAC. UAC issues have been around for the BDE for a while and most
>> of the handful of people I know running it are doing OK, although
>> some recent updates have caused issues with SMB2 and opportunistic
>> locking.  Paradox and BDE are not running where they need elevated
>> privileges.  We are evaluating  moving to postresql but it's a huge
>> chore and most likely not worth the effort.  It can be done but it's
>> not like there is a database abstraction layer we can just plug into.
>>

>> Well, crap, it just started working..... I had missed deleting one of
>> the old lock files and then it almost worked except Samba wasn't
>> giving write permissions for the new lock files.  I add force create
>> mode = 0774  to the share and that seems to be working.  I'll have to
>> research that.  Not sure that is the right way to give permission but
>> at least it is working.
>>
>> Thanks so much for replying on the Sunday afternoon!
>>
>> --
>>

> Jeez, I can never get these right.  In some directories the lock files
> are created correctly and it others the group does not have write
> access.  Is there a resource for dummies to help me with this?  As far
> as I can tell there are not ACL's on the directories.  In fact, one I
> recreated and copied the data over.

> --
>
> Mark B

This is beyond my pay grade. On some computers the lock files are
created correctly all the time.  On some they are created correctly
every now and then.  If I restart the server most all the computers work
at first (except one) but then start messing up.  The problem is the
lock files get created without the group's write permission.  All the
share's properties are being ignored for file creation.

Below is the current state of the share.  With these settings even now
users creating files directly only create file as 0755. Paradox software
creates files as 0775 or 0755 depending on how it is feeling.

[DATA]
   comment = APP Files
   path = /mnt/APPDATA
force user = nobody