[Samba] TDB databases on x86_64 and ppc64

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jan 14 14:19:01 UTC 2020

On 14/01/2020 13:50, Philipp Gesang via samba wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> -<| Quoting Jeremy Allison via samba <jra at samba.org>, on Monday, 2020-01-13 10:34:09 AM |>-
>> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 01:19:18PM +0100, Matthias Leopold via samba wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> just to be sure:
>>> can I use TDB databases that were created on ppc64 on a x86_64 platform?
>> Yes, the database internal structures are all endian-independent
>> and I believe all persistent database useage within Samba itself
>> is also endian-indepentent. Not the transient databases of course
>> but they get recreated on startup.
> in which category do SIDs fall? I remember this thread from a
> while back:
>
>      https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2018-October/130601.html
>
> Philipp

Mentioning SIDs made me pause for thought, wont all the .tdb files be
littered with SIDs ?

So, I think that everything would have to be cloned between the old ppc
Samba standalone server and the new standalone server.

I personally would just set up a new server, you will have to create the
users as Unix users anyway.

Rowland