[Samba] TDB databases on x86_64 and ppc64

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jan 14 19:16:20 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-01-14 at 14:19 +0000, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 14/01/2020 13:50, Philipp Gesang via samba wrote:
> > Hi Jeremy,
> >
> > -<| Quoting Jeremy Allison via samba <jra at samba.org>, on Monday, 2020-01-13 10:34:09 AM |>-

> > > Yes, the database internal structures are all endian-independent
> > > and I believe all persistent database useage within Samba itself
> > > is also endian-indepentent. Not the transient databases of course
> > > but they get recreated on startup.
> > in which category do SIDs fall? I remember this thread from a
> > while back:
> >
> >      https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2018-October/130601.html
> >
> > Philipp
>
> Mentioning SIDs made me pause for thought, wont all the .tdb files be
> littered with SIDs ?
>
> So, I think that everything would have to be cloned between the old ppc
> Samba standalone server and the new standalone server.

As far as we know we only made that mistake once, in the code recording
the SID for the server, not generally for all SIDs.  The ACLs in
share_info.tdb in particular will have been pushed with platform-
independent NDR.

To fix the secrets.tdb issue just run 'net getlocalsid' and then after
the migration 'net setlocalsid'.

Andrew Bartlett