[Samba] auto_private_groups analogue?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Feb 28 17:29:46 UTC 2020

On 28/02/2020 17:18, Christopher Cox via samba wrote:
> What I'm offering is a solution.
>
> Again, what I proposed is a functional workaround.  It's actually
> pretty natural and obvious when you get right down to it.

No it isn't. If you try to add a local user to a domain joined Unix
computer and that user exists in AD, you will not be allowed to. The
same goes for groups. You cannot add a user or group to AD if it exists
in /etc/passwd or /etc/group.

Your idea to manually edit /etc/passwd or /etc/group isn't a workaround,
it is a botch to get around the above. If you do create users or groups
as you suggest, then the user or group in /etc/* will be used instead of
the ones in AD and what if you actually meant the one in AD ??

Rowland