[Samba] Samba AD - Different IP than the existing one assigned

Lionel Monchecourt lionel.monchecourt at free.fr
Thu Feb 27 14:27:07 UTC 2020

Hi, Thanks for helping.

Answers in line :

Log.smbd :

[2020/02/24 10:02:22.602083,  0] ../source3/smbd/server.c:1815(main)

  server role = 'active directory domain controller' not compatible with running smbd standalone.

  You should start 'samba' instead, and it will control starting smbd if required

Really big hint there, you are not starting 'samba-ad-dc', you seem to be starting the individual Samba binaries
> This is what I’m starting :

 service samba-ad-dc start

Nothing is running on port 53 :

There wouldn't be, the 'samba' binary isn't starting.

Now, when I performed a check for the adc1, I get an answer BUT ,the IP is

not the one of the machine

A DC should have a fixed IP and that is what Samba should use.

yes ok : 172.31.6.15

Do you have more than one ethernet device ?

Yes , here are the different devices, but none is matching this strange IP

This is strange, but possibly related to the DC not running.

What OS is this ?

Ubuntun 18.04

Can you post the contents of the following files:

/etc/resolv.conf

search transmitcorp.com

nameserver 127.0.0.1

options edns0

Do not use '127.0.0.1', use the computers ipaddress
> ok , changed it to l72.31.6.15

/etc/hostname

127.0.0.1 localhost php7.localhost adc1

120.0.0.1 php7.localhost

172.31.6.15 adc1

No, /etc/hostname should just contain the computers short hostname 'adc1'
> yes, bad copy/paste sorry

root at TransmitCorp/etc/samba# more /etc/hostname

adc1

/etc/hosts

search transmitcorp.com

nameserver 127.0.0.1

options edns0

Have you mixed up your files ? I would have expected /etc/hosts to look like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost

172.31.6.15 adc1.transmitcorp.com adc1

Yes sorry,

/etc/hosts