[Samba] Samba, ACLs and 'primary group'...

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 5 15:48:04 UTC 2020

On 05/02/2020 15:35, Marco Gaiarin via samba wrote:
> Mandi! Rowland penny via samba
>    In chel di` si favelave...
>
>>> And my Windows client works happily!
>> If you only had Unix clients, then you could stick with this way of doing
>> things, but you have Windows clients, so you need to work the Windows way
>> and make your Unix clients work the same way.
> No. In these years i've worked with 'POSIX ACLs', setting up scripts to
> 'cleanup/sanitize' POSIX ACLs so they behave correctly on windows.
> I prefere to have (rather) simpler ACLs, but be able to manage it (also)
> from UNIX, in a UNIX way.
Exactly, 'these years' refer to running as an nt4-style domain. You are
now running in an AD domain.

> Anyway, it is not true that 'Windows ACLs' is the only way to make
> domain member works in respect to windows client (clearly, domain
> controller is another story...).

No, using a DC as a fileserver is just like using a Unix domain member
with 'acl_xattr', you MUST use Windows ACLs on a DC and you MUST use
acl_xattr on a Unix domain member if you have Windows clients, which
means you MUST use Windows ACLs.

FYI: there are three ACLs in play here, the standard Unix permissions
'ugo', extended permissions that getfacl displays and and an EA that
holds the permissions set from Windows.

Rowland