[Samba] Samba, ACLs and 'primary group'...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Wed Feb 5 15:35:06 UTC 2020

Mandi! Rowland penny via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> > And my Windows client works happily!
> If you only had Unix clients, then you could stick with this way of doing
> things, but you have Windows clients, so you need to work the Windows way
> and make your Unix clients work the same way.

No. In these years i've worked with 'POSIX ACLs', setting up scripts to
'cleanup/sanitize' POSIX ACLs so they behave correctly on windows.
I prefere to have (rather) simpler ACLs, but be able to manage it (also)
from UNIX, in a UNIX way.

Anyway, it is not true that 'Windows ACLs' is the only way to make
domain member works in respect to windows client (clearly, domain
controller is another story...).

> > Also, for the tests i've done, 'windows ACL' works as depicted on the
> > wiki page if and only if you set also:
> >         acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes
> >         acl_xattr:default acl style = windows
> It works for me without those lines.