[Samba] Newbie question: Spaces in share names

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 5 08:40:54 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-02-05 at 08:59 +0100, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Your walking a thin line here..
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/storageservices/naming-and-referencing-shares--directories--files--and-metadata
> Quote : Share names must start with a letter or number, and can contain only letters, numbers, and the dash (-) character.

Louis,

I think it should be clarified that this is about a totally different
service, not SMB.

> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file?redirectedfrom=MSDN
>
> Not saying its wrong, but your prone to errors..
> I would not recommend it.

Unlike on unix, spaces are a very regular part of windows and so SMB
files, folders and share names.

Samba certainly doesn't care, everything is a string to us, where the
special characters are just those listed above as actually special
(space isn't).

The rules on share names there are (only):

"Control characters in range 0x00 through 0x1F, inclusive, are illegal
in a share name."

Andrew Bartlett