[Samba] Newbie question: Spaces in share names

James Cartner-Young (Sandal Computers) jcartner-young at sandalcomputers.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 21:12:40 UTC 2020

Hello.

I hope you are all well.

A quick question as I am trying to fix some bugs and just wondering
where the fault lies - Does the Samba daemon/client specification
(Windows version or otherwise) support spaces within share names (not at
the start, but after the first alphanumeric character and before the last)?

For example is "My Document Share" a valid share name, which
"\\Servername\My Document Share" would then point to?

I have searched various guides and the Samba wiki, but, strangely, found
nothing relating to my searches.

I ask as I have a share with a space in it which shared fine from the
BSD server and worked fine on my Linux Mint desktop client. However,
recently, a core component (possibly after an update? I'm not 100% sure)
has been misbehaving with this particular share... The share happens to
be where all my business data is kept, so it's quite important that I
have consistent access to it.

I understand some folk shudder at the thought, but I was assuming that
it was being handled fine, until now.

Many thanks for your help.

James