[Samba] recycle problem

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 18 09:43:25 UTC 2020

On 18/12/2020 08:44, Anders Östling wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 9:29 AM Rowland penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>> On 18/12/2020 01:20, Andrew Walker via samba wrote:
>>> The "ls" output indicates that this is perhaps a FreeBSD server and files
>>> have ACLs on them?
>> Go on, I give in, just how did you extrapolate from the 'ls' output that
>> it is a FreeBSD server ? I can get a similar output on a Linux domain
>> member.
> It's Linux, no doubt about that :)
>
>>>     Also, it appears that you have an absolute path for the
>>> recycle bin that lies outside of the share's connectpath. Depending on
>>> server configuration this may be an issue. Can you perhaps provide the
>>> complete share definition since VFS objects are of particular concern, and
>>> if it's a FreeBSD server, please provide ACL information for paths in
>>> question (getfacl <path>).
>> As far as I can see, there is no reason for the zero content file to be
>> created, so, What OS is it and what is in the full smb.conf ?
>>
> Ubuntu 20.04 (with latest patches as of last week). Unpatched Samba
> included in Ubuntu.
>
> Here is the smb.conf content
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>
> workgroup = HPLTS
>
> idmap config DG11 : backend = rid
> idmap config DG11 : range = 30000-40000

Slight problem there (though probably nothing to do with your problem)
'DG11' in the 'idmap config' lines should be 'HPLTS'

Do realise that all of your shares allow guest access ?

Apart from that, I cannot see any reason for the zero content files,
unless whatever is creating the files is first creating a zero length
file and then deleting it before writing the correct file (if this is
the case, it isn't a Samba problem).

Rowland