[Samba] recycle problem

Andrew Walker walker.aj325 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 17:18:58 UTC 2020

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 4:44 AM Rowland penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 18/12/2020 08:44, Anders Östling wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 9:29 AM Rowland penny via samba
> > <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> files
> >> Go on, I give in, just how did you extrapolate from the 'ls' output that
> >> it is a FreeBSD server ? I can get a similar output on a Linux domain
> >> member.
> > It's Linux, no doubt about that :)

> and
> >> As far as I can see, there is no reason for the zero content file to be
> >> created, so, What OS is it and what is in the full smb.conf ?
> >>
> > Ubuntu 20.04 (with latest patches as of last week). Unpatched Samba
> > included in Ubuntu.
> >
> > Here is the smb.conf content
> >
> > # Global parameters
> > [global]
> >
> > workgroup = HPLTS
> >
> > idmap config DG11 : backend = rid
> > idmap config DG11 : range = 30000-40000
>
> Slight problem there (though probably nothing to do with your problem)
> 'DG11' in the 'idmap config' lines should be 'HPLTS'
>
> Do realise that all of your shares allow guest access ?
>
> Apart from that, I cannot see any reason for the zero content files,
> unless whatever is creating the files is first creating a zero length
> file and then deleting it before writing the correct file (if this is
> the case, it isn't a Samba problem).
>
> Rowland
>
> Indeed, I probably should have read more carefully. Some applications (I
think Adobe Reader may be one of these) will create zero-length temporary
files with a basically NULL DACL and delete-on-close set. This is probably
a case where we would want to skip the recycle bin (though I haven't
personally tested to see if they're recycled).