[Samba] ID mapping with SFU not setting shell

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Aug 30 12:36:50 UTC 2020

On 30/08/2020 12:57, O'Connor, Daniel wrote:
> Well I guess that explains why it doesn't work then :)
>
> I can (and currently do) work around it by having entries in master.passwd that have the correct shell etc..

If you want your users to have the same shell, you can add this to your
smb.conf:

template shell = /bin/sh

There is a similar line for the users home directory:

template homedir = /home/%U

It does mean that all users get the same shell and homedir path.

This is one of the myriad reasons for not using a Samba DC as a file
server, you get all the rfc2307 attributes on a Unix domain member using
the winbind 'ad' backend.

Rowland