[Samba] problem whith samba and dnsupdate command

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 26 12:43:31 UTC 2020

On 26/08/2020 13:04, jmpatagonia via samba wrote:
> 2) Now have a question to configure a external dns:
> There is a docu or guide for that ? I found that -->
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2010-January/152913.html
That is dated from 2010 and is well outdated ;-)
> 3) The parameters  dns forwarder is required ?
only if you are using the internal dns server built into your Samba DC.
If you use Bind9 instead, the 'forwarders go into its conf file.
> 4) Another more fine question
> We actually only resolv a cup of 20/30 entries or nameservers on the
> network and nothing else, if dnsmasq have these records setting on local,
> even so dnsmasq query the samba AD or just query if not found on local.

It doesn't matter if you have 10 clients or 10,000 clients in your AD
domain, you must use at least one DC as the dns domain server. All Samba
AD DC's are authoritative for the dns domain (it is known as
multi-master), so you might as well use them all as nameservers, all the
dns records are in AD. You need to use a dns server that can update/read
the AD dns records, the only supported dns servers are the builtin dns
server and Bind9, dnsmasq is not supported on a DC.

You can use dnsmasq on Unix domain members, but only as a caching
nameserver, it must use a DC as its nameserver.

Rowland