[Samba] core dump from samba-tool when chnging user password

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 24 15:24:02 UTC 2020

On 24/08/2020 16:17, James B. Byrne wrote:
> Not really, I have been working with MS AD Domains since NT 3.51, or whatever it
> was called back then.  This one just happens to be the one I am currently
> testing on.  (I know, that is not what you meant, but you see how language
> sometimes communicates ideas other than what was intended.)
You just proved why calling your DC a 'PDC' is a bad idea ;-)

>> I am also beginning to think your problems are all self inflicted by
>> running your Samba instances in Freebsd jails. The problems you are
>> having around talloc are definitely not normal. Is there anyway you
>> could set up Samba without using jails ?
> Of course they are and of course I could.  However, that would be
> administratively difficult.  Keeping these sorts of applications in FreeBSD
> jails running on top of ZFS provides a secure segregation of responsibilities
> in a data environment where the entire application setup is trivially
> transported between hosts. It effectively provides what Docker and its kind are
> supposed to do in Linux.

What I was trying to suggest was, if you set up Samba just as you are
now, but without the jails, and everything worked, this would heavily
point to your problems being something to do with the jails, something
that has nothing to do with Samba. Conversely, if you do still have the
same errors, it has nothing to do with jails.

Rowland