[Samba] Creating a new Samba BDC and promoting to PDC

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Aug 11 06:38:44 UTC 2020

On 11/08/2020 01:20, Simon Matthews via samba wrote:

> The move to AD involves re-configuration of DNS. We already have a local
> DNS server, which works nicely with our DHCP server.
>
> It's not clear to me what zones the AD DNS server needs to serve? I
> wonder if I can keep my existing zones (forward/reverse resolution for
> all the machines in the LAN) and, if the zones that the AD DNS server
> requires do not overlap, then I can set up my existing DNS server as a
> slave for the new zones?

I do not know how your dns is setup, but a Samba AD DC must be
authoritative for the AD dns domain. This usually means that, if your
registered dns domain is 'example.com', you would use something like
'ad.example.com' for the active directory dns domain. All domain clients
would use the DC(s) as their nameserver(s), the DC would return
information about the AD domain from its own records and for anything
outside 'ad.example.com', it would ask its forwarder.

Rowland