[Samba] Creating a new Samba BDC and promoting to PDC

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Aug 11 07:34:02 UTC 2020

Hi Simon,

Imagine, you have now zone1.domain.tld which runs the PDC setup.

You can now setup the new AD zones for example with a new zone.  office.domain.tld
Once you have dns running you can forward zone1 to the needed dns server(s) for the old zones.
And/or re-add the records in the new DNS.

If the local dns server with dhcp is already running.
Transfer it to the AD-DC, its not obligated, but its nice to have dhcp managing the DNS records also Within the AD.
This is what you should read also.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9

Greetz,

Louis