[Samba] Domain admin has no access to C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Aug 6 16:51:19 UTC 2020

FreeBSd-12.1p7
Samba-4.10.15
Windows 10 Pro

I have added a windows laptop to the test domain using the domain administrator
account.  I have logged on to the domain using the domain administrator
account.  When I attempt to open the Settings->Personalization -> Desktop icon
settings I get this error:

C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe  (File version 10.0.18362.1)
Windows cannot access the specified device path, or file. You may not have the
appropriate permissions to access the item.

Checking the security of that file I do not see any mention of the domain to
which the computer has been added and logged on to.

In security I see:

ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES  rx r
ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES rx r
SYSTEM rx r
Administrators (AKL-M01)\Administrators) rx r
Users (AKL-M01\Users) rx r
TrustedInstaller f m rx r w

Ctrl Pnl -> Admin tools -> Comp Mgmt -> Local Users and Groups -> Groups ->
Administrators show that BROCKLEY\Domain Admins is a member.

So I checked samba and this is what I discovered:

[root at smb4-2 ~ (master)]# samba-tool group listmembers "Domain Admins"
Administrator

Is this telling me that the administrator account name is case sensitive?

Any ideas as to what step I missed?

   Unencrypted messages have no legal claim to privacy

Canada  L8E 3C3