[Samba] Removing IP address from DC

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 30 08:47:32 UTC 2020

On 30/04/2020 09:15, William Edwards via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on removing IPv4 from our AD DC machines, so they operate with only IPv6. I have removed the machine's IPv4 addresses. It is no surprise, though, that the IPv4 address still appears in Samba DNS (can be seen when running 'samba_dnsupdate --verbose'). I am aware of the documentation for changing an AD DC's IP address[1], but I could not find documentation regarding removing an IP address.
>
> Q: How do I remove the old IPv4 address from Samba DNS (and possibly other places)?

No, the question is, why do you want to do this ? (note that I say
'want' not 'need')

Do you have more than 2,147,483,647 computers, printers, scanners etc ?

Are you doing something like connecting your AD directly to the internet ?

If you really must do this, you will need to create an IPv6 reverse
zone, then add the IPv6 addresses for your computers etc to this zone.
Then you will have to modify  'dns_update_list' to only use IPv6, then
find all IPv4 addresses in AD, ensure that an IPv6 address exists for it
and delete the IPv4 address and finally remove the IPv4 reverse zone.

Rowland