[Samba] Share inaccessible intermittently and often - restarting smb cures for short time

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 23 17:33:16 UTC 2020

On 23/04/2020 17:58, Rich Webb via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running Samba 4.12.1 both as a domain controller on one box (DC1) and as a joined member on another box for a file server (FS1).
>
> I have three shares on FS1 and intermittently I am getting a message that says "\\fs1\shared is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
>
> Now when this is happening on one share it might not be on one of the other two. Sometimes it happens on all of them. This morning I copied a file over to shared and the copy completed but the window didn't update and the file did not show up so I went to refresh the screen and got the error. If I wait long enough or go back and forth between different shares it will again become accessible but when I go to FS1 and restart the smb service I can again access it. It is happening very frequently. Almost every time I want to use the server for something.
>
> Both of these installs were built from source. If you need the configure commands I used I can provide that as well.
Yes please ;-)

There is nothing really wrong with your smb.conf files, except I would
remove the 'winbind enum' lines from FS1, all they really do is to slow
things down. I would also add 'winbind refresh tickets = Yes' to FS1.

After this, you may have to raise the log level on FS1 to see if
anything pops out.

What OS is this ?

Rowland