[Samba] Share inaccessible intermittently and often - restarting smb cures for short time

Rich Webb rwebb at zylatech.com
Thu Apr 23 16:58:16 UTC 2020

Hello,

I'm running Samba 4.12.1 both as a domain controller on one box (DC1) and as a joined member on another box for a file server (FS1).

I have three shares on FS1 and intermittently I am getting a message that says "\\fs1\shared is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

Now when this is happening on one share it might not be on one of the other two. Sometimes it happens on all of them. This morning I copied a file over to shared and the copy completed but the window didn't update and the file did not show up so I went to refresh the screen and got the error. If I wait long enough or go back and forth between different shares it will again become accessible but when I go to FS1 and restart the smb service I can again access it. It is happening very frequently. Almost every time I want to use the server for something.

Both of these installs were built from source. If you need the configure commands I used I can provide that as well.

Here is my smb.conf for DC1 and FS1:

DC1:
# Global parameters
[global]
dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8
netbios name = DC1
realm = DOMAIN.LOCAL
workgroup = DOMAIN

[sysvol]
path = /var/locks/sysvol
read only = No

[netlogon]
path = /var/locks/sysvol/domain.local/scripts
read only = No

FS1:
[global]

netbios name = FS1
workgroup = DOMAIN
security = ADS
realm = DOMAIN.LOCAL

idmap config *:backend = tdb
idmap config *:range = 2000-9999
idmap config DOMAIN:backend = rid
idmap config DOMAIN:range = 10000-999999

winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes

vfs objects = acl_xattr
map acl inherit = Yes