[Samba] Join new DC to domain - advice to upgrade Samba 4.

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Apr 7 12:13:14 UTC 2020

On 07/04/2020 12:20, Daniel Lopes de Carvalho via samba wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> I have a working Samba 4 DC running on Debian Stretch 9.9 with samba 4.5.16
> and I would like to add a new Samba DC (on Debian Stretch 9.9 with the same
> Samba version).

Why stick with stretch ?

 From my understanding you will only get security updates from now on.

I would use Buster (Debian 10) instead, this will get you Samba 4.9.5,
which, while it is still EOL as far as Samba is concerned, is a lot less
dead than 4.5.16

> During the joining process I get the error WERR_DS_DRA_MISSING_PARENT.
Can you post the output from the join command.
> I was wondering to first upgrade Samba on the new joining DC and if I get
> success and have a second working AD, then upgrade the Samba in the first
> working DC.

You may have something wrong with your database and if so, you need to
fix this first. If you can upgrade in place, then this may be the way to
go, but not until you are sure that the database is okay.

Rowland