[Samba] Join new DC to domain - advice to upgrade Samba 4.

Daniel Lopes de Carvalho daniel at cepetro.unicamp.br
Tue Apr 7 11:20:28 UTC 2020

Hello Guys,

I have a working Samba 4 DC running on Debian Stretch 9.9 with samba 4.5.16
and I would like to add a new Samba DC (on Debian Stretch 9.9 with the same
Samba version).

During the joining process I get the error WERR_DS_DRA_MISSING_PARENT. I
read this thread
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2017-December/212938.html and
executed the samba_upgradedns on working DC as Rowland suggested, but the
error persists.

I saw some other threads on Samba's list suggesting to upgrade Samba
version to 4.7.X. I would like to know what is the best way to do this
upgrade.

I was wondering to first upgrade Samba on the new joining DC and if I get
success and have a second working AD, then upgrade the Samba in the first
working DC.

Can someone guide me to this issue?

Thanks and best regards

Daniel