[Samba] Windows10+samba share: The remote computer isn’t responding to connections on port 445

Yanni y.goudetsidis at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
Wed Sep 18 13:53:08 UTC 2019

Hello everyone

I am having an issue with one particular windows 10 PC not being able to
map a samba share. When I map the network drive:*\\hostname\share* the
window prompt to login pops up. I enter the correct username and
password and after a minute I get this error:

*The network path was not found. 0x80070035*. Looking at the windows 10
logs, I can see this message:

*file and print sharing resource is online but isn't responding to
connection attempts.* Also under the "detail information" tab I can see:

*The remote computer isn’t responding to connections on port 445,
possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it
might be temporarily unavailable. Windows couldn’t find any problems
with the firewall on your computer*

Many other Windows10 computers on the same network can connect to this
/share/ with no problems, so that means there are no issues on the samba
server about port 445 or firewall and security settings. This is what I
checked/tried so far:

- Hostname of windows10 PC is 9 characters long.

- Network security: LAN manager authentication level is set to : use
NTLv2 session security if negotiated.

- SMB port 445 on the samba server is listening.

- /greped/ the samba logs for the ip address of the win10 PC but nothing
is logged in relation to it.

- SMBv1 protocol is ticked on win10 PC.

Could you please let me know if there anything else, I could try? It is
strange that all other windows 10 PCs do not have this problem and I did
not have to touch security policies or change anything on them.

Many thanks