[Samba] Clussicupgrade tdbsam

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Sep 16 15:27:12 UTC 2019

On 16/09/2019 15:42, basti via samba wrote:
> On 13.09.19 21:12, Andrew Bartlett via samba wrote:
>> On Fri, 2019-09-13 at 17:08 +0200, basti via samba wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> i try to upgrade NT4 to AD.
>>> The NT4 domain has name foobar.example.com. i need to rename the
>>> domain
>>> to samdom.example.com.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to rename all entry in tdb before classicupgrade?
>> The NT4 domain name is actually not recorded anywhere in Samba's DBs,
>> just in the workgroup parameter in the smb.conf.
>>
>> So while your joined domain members won't be happy (you will need to
>> rejoin), you can just change it.  Just make sure the domain SID stays
>> the same, it should (because it will fallback to the 'machine sid' that
>> already has that value), but see
>>
>> net getdomainsid (to get the current one/check the new one)
>> net setdomainsid (if you need to reset it)
>>
>> I hope this helps!
>>
>> Andrew Bartlett
>>
> Hello Andrew,
> I have Upgrade my Domain from NT4 to AD.
> Domain SID is a different one. I try to set this to the new one.
>
> old pdc:
> net getdomainsid
>
> new dc1:
> stop samba ; net setdomainsid [copy-from old]; start samba
>
> Domain SID is still the "new one".
> User SID are also different when I look with "rpcclient $> lookupnames".
>
> Can this be a Problem, when I unjoin and rejoin all workstations to Domain?

Do you still have the original PDC ?

If so, does 'net getdomainsid' show the same SID for the local machine
and the domain ?

If not, use net setlocalsid to change the local SID to the domain SID
and try the classicupgrade again, but ensure you have 'realm =
the.dns.domain.you.want.use' in the old smb.conf

Rowland