[Samba] Account constantly locking out

David Wells david_wells_77 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Oct 30 17:35:12 UTC 2019

I now modified the log level line of the smb.conf file to read what follows
log level = 1 auth_audit:5@/var/log/samba/auth.log

Now I'm getting logging in the auth.log file. However aI unlocked the users account and again, after a couple of seconds the account was again locked out. However I can't find this user's username in the log.

    El miércoles, 30 de octubre de 2019 13:56:01 ART, Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> escribió:

 On 30/10/2019 16:23, David Wells via samba wrote:
> Good afternoon.
>
> I'm having issues with one of the users in my samba AD (samba 4.10.8 compiled from source) which is constantly getting his account locked out. As I wrote in another message yesterday I'm trying to get debug info of the auth events but that isn't working so I just turned the whole log level up to 10 and grepping in the log files I can't find this users username except in some old entries not related to the current issue. What else could I try to debug the account lock out issue with this user?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Best regards,
> David Wells.

It sounds like something is trying to auth using an old password (email
account ?), but the logging should work. I use this in [global] on a
Samba 4.10.8 DC: log level = 1 auth_audit:2@/var/log/samba/auth.log

This logs authentication failures to /var/log/samba/auth.log

Rowland