[Samba] Account constantly locking out

David Wells david_wells_77 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Oct 30 17:26:13 UTC 2019

Rowland, thank you very much for your response.

I modified the smb.conf file as instructed so that it has the following linelog level = 1 auth:3 auth_audit:3@/var/log/samba/auth.log

and I executed the command smbcontrol all reload-config

I now have a file called /var/log/samba/auth.log. I have unlocked the users account a couple of times and allways a couple of seconds later the account locks out again and the auth.log file is still empty.

Thank you very much again.
Best regards,
David Wells.

    El miércoles, 30 de octubre de 2019 13:56:01 ART, Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> escribió:

 On 30/10/2019 16:23, David Wells via samba wrote:
> Good afternoon.
>
> I'm having issues with one of the users in my samba AD (samba 4.10.8 compiled from source) which is constantly getting his account locked out. As I wrote in another message yesterday I'm trying to get debug info of the auth events but that isn't working so I just turned the whole log level up to 10 and grepping in the log files I can't find this users username except in some old entries not related to the current issue. What else could I try to debug the account lock out issue with this user?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Best regards,
> David Wells.

It sounds like something is trying to auth using an old password (email
account ?), but the logging should work. I use this in [global] on a
Samba 4.10.8 DC: log level = 1 auth_audit:2@/var/log/samba/auth.log

This logs authentication failures to /var/log/samba/auth.log

Rowland