[Samba] Wiki Page Revisions

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Tue Oct 29 13:55:19 UTC 2019

Howdy!

On 10/29/19 2:39 PM, torch via samba wrote:
> When I created the User Documentation page "Configure Samba to Work Better with Mac OS X”, my intent was to help others in the same situation I am:  I have a WD MyCloud (Gen1) running an old version of samba (4.3.11) with no expectation that the firmware would be upgraded for the latest & greatest samba.

fwiw, 4.3.11 is completey broken as far as vfs_fruit is concerned.

> The device is still usable, but was not optimized for Macs, so I ssh’d into the device to modify the smb.conf based on the man pages of that version of samba and vfs_fruit.  I had noted in the wiki in which version of samba various parameters had either appeared or changed to help others with non-current versions of samba.
>
> Slowfranklin has removed most of my original wiki,

that's me. :)

> presumably to bring it up to current defaults,

yup. And more importantly I was aiming at making it simple and concise.

> however, it makes it more difficult for users with old versions of samba.

Feel free to add an additional section with an overview of options and
what version added them.

Otoh, the wiki is basically aiming at the current stable and supported
Samba versions, currently 4.10 and 4.11.

> I would like to revert it to my 22 Apr 2019 version, but don’t want to get into back & forth edits with Slowfranklin.
>
> Slowfranklin, if you are reading this, can I get your agreement to revert.  If you have any changes for more recent (or current) samba version, we could just note it in the wiki.

Please don't revert my changes, instead add what you see now as missing
for helping users with older releases as a new section at the end.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                https://samba.org/
Samba Developer, SerNet GmbH   https://sernet.de/en/samba/