[Samba] Problem with UID and GID

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Oct 22 14:48:18 UTC 2019

On 22/10/2019 15:32, Stephen Atkins via samba wrote:
> Hello everyone.  I thought I had everything configured correctly but
> it seems not.  I've got two servers.  One is the AD DC and another
> that has been joined to the domain.  This is the output I get first
> from the AD DC when I do a getent:
>
> root at dc1:/etc# getent group 'Domain Admins'
> AD\domain admins:x:3000004:
> root at dc1:/etc# getent passwd 'stephen'
> AD\stephen:*:10000:4:Stephen T. Atkins:/home/AD/stephen:/bin/bash
>
> And then from my fileserver (joined to the domain):
>
> root at fileserver:/etc# getent group 'Domain Admins'
> domain admins:x:10017:
> root at fileserver:/etc# getent passwd 'stephen'
> stephen:*:10000:10004:Stephen Atkins:/home/AD/stephen:/bin/bash
>
> The UID is the same on both  but the DC returns a GID of 4 but on the
> fileserver it returns 10004.
>
> Also concerning is that the DC returns 3000004 for Domain Admins and
> the fileserver returns 10017.

Have you read this:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member#Setting_up_a_Basic_smb.conf_File

> Let me know if you would like to see any other config files.

Yes, can we see your smb.conf files.

It looks like you have given your user a uidNumber attribute, but
haven't  given 'Domain Users' a gidNumber attribute. What OS is this ?
'4' isn't an ID for the 'users' group that I have come across. Though
thinking about it, perhaps the question is, just where have you set that
'4' ?

Rowland