[Samba] Problem with UID and GID

Stephen Atkins satkins at mdwainwright.ca
Tue Oct 22 14:32:06 UTC 2019

Hello everyone.  I thought I had everything configured correctly but it
seems not.  I've got two servers.  One is the AD DC and another that has
been joined to the domain.  This is the output I get first from the AD
DC when I do a getent:

root at dc1:/etc# getent group 'Domain Admins'
AD\domain admins:x:3000004:
root at dc1:/etc# getent passwd 'stephen'
AD\stephen:*:10000:4:Stephen T. Atkins:/home/AD/stephen:/bin/bash

And then from my fileserver (joined to the domain):

root at fileserver:/etc# getent group 'Domain Admins'
domain admins:x:10017:
root at fileserver:/etc# getent passwd 'stephen'
stephen:*:10000:10004:Stephen Atkins:/home/AD/stephen:/bin/bash

The UID is the same on both  but the DC returns a GID of 4 but on the
fileserver it returns 10004.

Also concerning is that the DC returns 3000004 for Domain Admins and the
fileserver returns 10017.

I know I'm probably missing something but I'm just not sure where to
look next.  My nsswitch.conf for the DC is:
passwd:         compat winbind
group:          compat winbind
shadow:         compat
gshadow:        files

and for the fileserver:
passwd:         compat winbind systemd
group:          compat winbind systemd
shadow:         compat winbind
gshadow:        files

Let me know if you would like to see any other config files.

--
Stephen Atkins