[Samba] GPO for Computer/Machine not working

Martin Tessun martin.tessun at gmx.de
Mon Oct 21 15:38:30 UTC 2019

Hi Rowland,

On 20.10.19 19:16, Rowland penny wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Sorry, the Windows is German unfortunately, but what is happening is
>> mainly that the PC doesn not have access to the SYSVOL share, as the
>> Computer Account is not part of the correct security groups´(see
>> above), but instead is part of:
>> - NULL SID
>> - NETWORK
>> - THIS ORGANISATION
>> - Untrusted Mandatory Level
>>
>> From my PoV the Computer should be part of:
>> - Authenticated Users
>> - Domain Computers
>> - High Mandatory Level
>>
>> This is not the case and the reason the machine does not get access
>> to the sysvol. This can also be seen within the details, as the
>> gpt.ini can't be accessed (Policy Version 65535):
>>
>> Verknüpfungsort ad.die-tessuns.de
>> Konfigurierte Erweiterungen {827D319E-6EAC-11D2-A4EA-00C04F79F83A}
>> Erzwungen Nein
>> Deaktiviert Keine
>> Sicherheitsfilter NT-AUTORITÄT\Authentifizierte Benutzer
>> Revision AD (2), SYSVOL (65535)
>> WMI-Filter
>> Grund: abgelehnt Zugriff verweigert (Sicherheitsfilterung)
>>

>> Whereas the User has the correct security Groups:
>>
>>    Der Benutzer ist Mitglied der folgenden Sicherheitsgruppen
>>     ----------------------------------------------------------
>>         Domain Users
>>         Jeder
>>         Benutzer
>>         INTERAKTIV
>>         KONSOLENANMELDUNG
>>         Authentifizierte Benutzer
>>         Diese Organisation
>>         LOKAL
>>         Local Admins
>>         Hohe Verbindlichkeitsstufe
>>
>> So in English:
>> - Domain Users
>> - Everyone
>> - Users
>> - INTERACTIVE
>> - Console Logon
>> - Authenticated User
>> - This Organization
>> - Local
>> - Local Admins
>> - High Mandatory Level
>>
>> Rejoining the Computer does not make any difference as well as
>> adjusting the SYSVOL permissions as described in several threads. So
>> from my pov the right thing to solve this issue is to get the
>> computer account to the correct trustlevel/security group membership.
>>
>> Unfortunately I found no way doing so.
>>
>> So if anyone has an idea on what to do here would be greatly
>> appreciated (BTW. Looking at effective user rights for the SYSVOL
>> shares the machine account <COMPUTERNAME>$ as well as SYSTEM should
>> have access rights. Unfortunately the GPO thinks otherwise.
>>
>> Also note that Computer GPO is the only thing that is not working.
>> And I also tried all the solution proposals listed in the
>> aforementioned thread already - as expected with no success.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Martin
>>
> Just to make sure, are you modifying either of the two default GPOs ?

This doesn't make any difference at all. I tried it with the Default
Domain Policy as well as a separate policy. The results are all the
same. As said, I tried all the proposed solutions in the old thread I
linked.
Please also note that all GPOs for Users get applied and work (as the
users have the "correct" Security Groups), but computer accounts are not
able to apply the GPO.

Even opening up the SYSVOL share for everyone does not help - as the
machine is part of "NULL SID" and "Untrusted Mandatory Level" which
leads to the machine account not having any access to any share in the
domain regardless of its security.

The machine account itself is in "Domain Computers" and if I check the
%COMPUTERNAME%$ account to the share it *should* have access.
Unfortunately the GPO tooling of Microsoft thinks differently - that is
why it is not part of "Authenticated Users" as it should be according to MS.

This is how a machine/computer should look like in terms of Security
Groups in AD (at the very least):

The computer is a part of the following security groups:
     Everyone
     NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
     NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

And this is what my machines in the Samba domain all look like
(according to gpresult):

The computer is a part of the following security groups:
         NULL SID
         NETWORK
         THIS ORGANISATION
         Untrusted Mandatory Level

And that exact mismatch to what MS says a machine account should be and
what all my Samba accounts are seems to be the issue from my PoV. The
machine is neither part of "Everyone" nor of "Authenticated Users"
security group, which it should - also see e.g.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2003/cc759506(v=ws.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Cheers,
Martin