[Samba] Winbind and caching - idmap, DC

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Oct 18 17:52:40 UTC 2019

On 18/10/2019 18:26, Alexey A Nikitin via samba wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have few questions about Winbind on AD DS domain member I'm having difficulty finding answers to in the docs on my own:
> * does Winbind remember the last DC it was connected to on shutdown, will it attempt to connect to the same DC on restart or will it go through DC location process again?
I don't think it does cache the last DC and as it might not always use
the same DC in the same session, it doesn't really matter
> * If yes, will that information be wiped out when one runs 'net cache flush'?
> * If yes, is 'net cache flush' necessary when changing idmap configuration? It seems even after winbind restart querying user info still returns old UID, before the idmap config change :-/

What do you mean 'changing idmap configuration' ?

Why are doing this and more importantly, how are you doing this ?

> * If yes, can the cache be wiped out selectively, only the idmap cache without the last DC cache (assuming the answer to first question is yes)?
> * If no, can 'net cache flush' be done while Winbind is running, will it achieve the desired effect with regards to SID-UID id mapping change without losing connection to a particular DC?

It shouldn't matter which DC you connect to, for a given smb.conf, you
should always get the same UID for a given user.

Rowland