[Samba] "ea support = yes" and "map acl inherit = yes"

Matthias Leopold matthias.leopold at meduniwien.ac.at
Mon Oct 14 13:53:57 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'm running Samba 4.8 servers with Windows ACL enabled shares (following
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs).
This manual demands to set

map acl inherit = yes
store dos attributes = yes

and requires extended attribute support from the share file system. So
far, so good. Now I shall upgrade to CentOS 7.7 which brings Samba 4.9
which changes "ea support" parameter default "yes". I don't know how
this relates to the above parameters.

For "store dos attributes" man smb.conf says "This extended attribute is
explicitly hidden from smbd clients requesting an EA list". What about
"map acl inherit" and user.SAMBA_PAI? Is it safe to have "ea support =
yes" and and "map acl inherit = yes"? What are the benefits?

thanks
Matthias