[Samba] Failed when join to an existing Active Directory Domain

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Oct 12 14:49:11 UTC 2019

On 12/10/2019 15:22, Igor Sousa wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>

> My domain is a Samba Domain originally. I don't have any Windows DC
> and I've never had a Windows DC in this domain, only Windows members.
> My master DC is too old samba version and I've put a new DC with samba
> 4.10.2 and I've tried to update a secondary DC that had had offline.
> Then I have demonted it and compile a Samba 4.10.2 and I've tried to
> join it with the same name and IP address as I've said before.
>
> Igor Sousa

The reason I asked about Windows is because your join fails here:

INFO 2019-10-11 17:49:04,753 pid:29652
/usr/local/samba/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/samba/join.py #1160:
Adding DNS A record GENOS.smb for IPv4 IP: 10.41.17.130

We have had a few reports like this recently and they failed on creation
of the computers dns records because they started out as Windows
2000/2003 domains and the dns records were very different.

What OS are you running ?

What was the Samba version that you are trying to replace, or to put it
another way, what Samba version was it when the domain was provisioned ?

How have you compiled Samba, what was your configure line ?

Rowland