[Samba] minimum of 'server services' for NT style domain ?

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Oct 9 09:01:18 UTC 2019

The minimal "needed" services depends on how you use your server.

> > And maybe even less need for stand-alone server?
Then most probely only smbd and winbind.

> > many thanks, L.
> >
> I take it by 'services' you mean the 'smbd' , 'nmbd' and 'winbindd'
> binaries, if so, then you only need the 'smbd' & 'nmbd'
> binaries on both.
>
> You do not need dns with an NT4-style domain, it uses netbios instead.
^^^^^ not totaly wrong/right, but ..

Yes, you dont need dns for NT4 Style, because of netbios.

No, you do needs DNS since, netbios is more and more disabled.
Chicken and the egg problem...   ;-)

And because of that, a correct setup with A-PTR and dnsdomainnames is a must.
Note, A-PTR + DNSdomain setup, without dns server can work also,
if your hosts and resolv.conf files are setup correctly.

But he is running  bind so i assume that its setup correctly.

> Can I stress how important it is that anyone who is still using an
> NT4-style domain upgrades to AD. From Samba 4.11.0, they will
> no longer
> work by default, though you can reconfigure smb.conf to keep
> them working.

I think, he wants an stand alone samba server + ldap users for the system.

Basicly, im guessing he want to know thse. ( in debian )
https://wiki.debian.org/LDAP/OpenLDAPSetup
+
https://wiki.debian.org/LDAP/PAM
+