[Samba] Error while trying to manage file share

Marian Thieme marian.thieme at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 12:25:03 UTC 2019

Hello,

according to documentation:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs User
is required to setup the file share using ms windows (Computer
Management->Connect to another computer). That I am trying without success.
When I connect with Windows 7 client I get error message: "Event Viewer
cannot connect to computer 'SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM. The error ported is: The
RPC server is unavailable."

When I connect with Windows 10 client I get lengthier but also not helpful
error message: "Computer xxx cannot be connected. Verify network paht is
correct, ...."

The error occurs when clicking to "SystemTools".It still opens System Tools
and I can also open Shared Folders->Shares. But there are no shares.
(Except IPC$)

My Samba File server is joined to our AD domain. I tried with version 4.9.1
and with source installation (4.11.2).

Server side samba logs do not report an error. I am able to map the share
from Windows. However, I need to configure permissions for Domain Users.
Which I am unable to do according to the problem.

Any suggestions ? Do you need entire smb/nmb/winbind logs ?

In the connection log for the Windows client I see an error when it tries
to fetch users from database.
[2019/11/27 13:21:49.244061,  5]
../source3/passdb/pdb_tdb.c:600(tdbsam_getsampwnam)
  pdb_getsampwnam (TDB): error fetching database.
   Key: USER_root

Is user root required to be there ?

Regards,
Marian