[Samba] Filesystem does not support posix ACLs

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Nov 14 07:16:56 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-11-14 at 06:19 +0000, Ghassan Elrayah via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to create a build on CircleCi with smaba4 AD. It seems
> the filesytem doesn't support ACL's, which s3fs requires. I get the
> folowing error:

Can you explain a bit more about what you are doing with CircleCI?

This will help me understand how best to advise you.

>   ERROR(<class 'samba.provision.ProvisioningError'>): Provision
> failed - ProvisioningError: Your filesystem or build does not support
> posix ACLs, which s3fs requires.  Try the mounting the filesystem
> with the 'acl' option.
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/domain.py",
> line 538, in run
>      backend_store=backend_store)
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-
> packages/samba/provision/__init__.py", line 2316, in provision
>      backend_store=backend_store)
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-
> packages/samba/provision/__init__.py", line 1921, in provision_fill
>      names.domaindn, lp, use_ntvfs)
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-
> packages/samba/provision/__init__.py", line 1649, in setsysvolacl
>      raise ProvisioningError("Your filesystem or build does not
> support posix ACLs, which s3fs requires.  "
> Exited with code 255
>
> I tried to provision the doamin with the options --use-ntvfs and --
> with-ntvfs-fileserver, but the options seems to be removed, and I get
> the error:
>
> samba-tool domain provision: error: no such option

It can be compiled in, but I need to understand your use case first to
best advise you.

To give you some hope: if, for example, you setting up Samba to support
testing the LDAP backed of another service then sysvol ACLs are
entirely unimportant and  you can either use the NTVFS file server or
fake the ACLs in smbd.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

--