[Samba] Problem joining domain [SEC=OFFICIAL]

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 30 08:04:57 UTC 2019

On 30/05/2019 08:22, Thamm, Russell via samba wrote:
> UNOFFICIAL
> Firstly thanks for the help with my previous problem building SAMBA. The UNOFFICIAL in the subject heading is added automatically by our email system.
OFFICIAL
Stupid idea in my opinion

> I'm getting the following error when trying to join a 2003 server domain.
Didn't you get the memo, 2003 is EOL ;-)

> Adding CN=TITUS,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=SSUNIT050,DC=local
> Adding CN=TITUS,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=SSUNIT050,DC=local
> Adding CN=NTDS Settings,CN=TITUS,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=SSUNIT050,DC=local
> DsAddEntry failed with status WERR_ACCESS_DENIED info (8363, 'WERR_DS_NO_CROSSREF_FOR_NC')
>
> I can't find out what WERR_DS_NO_CROSSREF_FOR_NC means.
The cross-reference for the specified naming context could not be found

> I have previously joined this domain with an older version of Samba. That SAMBA box is now dead and I have removed it from AD.
> I think that I have done this correctly.

What version worked ?

How did you remove it ?

What version are you using now ?

What OS ?

> This domain is standalone (air-gapped). I currently have no way to get info off TITUS, so the above output from samba-tool was hand copied - might have typos.

I think you might have to find a way in, you might have to do a lot of
typing otherwise.

Rowland