[Samba] Problem joining domain [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Thamm, Russell Russell.Thamm at dst.defence.gov.au
Thu May 30 07:22:15 UTC 2019

UNOFFICIAL
Firstly thanks for the help with my previous problem building SAMBA. The UNOFFICIAL in the subject heading is added automatically by our email system.

I'm getting the following error when trying to join a 2003 server domain.

Adding CN=TITUS,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=SSUNIT050,DC=local
Adding CN=TITUS,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=SSUNIT050,DC=local
Adding CN=NTDS Settings,CN=TITUS,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=SSUNIT050,DC=local
DsAddEntry failed with status WERR_ACCESS_DENIED info (8363, 'WERR_DS_NO_CROSSREF_FOR_NC')

I can't find out what WERR_DS_NO_CROSSREF_FOR_NC means.

I have previously joined this domain with an older version of Samba. That SAMBA box is now dead and I have removed it from AD.
I think that I have done this correctly.

This domain is standalone (air-gapped). I currently have no way to get info off TITUS, so the above output from samba-tool was hand copied - might have typos.

Cheers
Russell