[Samba] Debugging Samba is a total PITA and this needs to improve

Sven Schwedas sven.schwedas at tao.at
Tue May 21 09:44:16 UTC 2019

Once again, something with Samba thirty bazillion components broke. Once
again, my choices for logging are "nothing" or "15 MB/s spread of ten
different files, because 'client authentication failed' totally needs to
be lower priority than malloc debug info". Once again, none of these
messages is actually able to convey what broke, where, why. Why is it
impossible for Samba to provide useful error reporting? How is anyone
supposed to use this in production? Why is the only way we have to
troubleshoot is having Rowland and LPH bike shedding over smb.conf
formatting styles for two weeks until the problem randomly solves itself?