[Samba] best upgrade path

Sonic sonicsmith at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 14:44:26 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 10:22 AM Rowland Penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Not sure what you mean by 'AD and/or member file server', they are the
> same thing really, unless 'AD' is a massive typo for 'DC'. In which
> case, the answers are, no, you shouldn't upgrade a DC directly from
> 4.6.x to 4.10.0, though you can do it in stages, 4.6 to 4.8.x, then to
> 4.10.0. There have been reports that you can upgrade a DC directly to
> 4.9.x (and I suppose 4.10.0), then run ldbedit on the DC, but I haven't
> tested this.
>
> There should be no problems with upgrading a Unix domain member
> directly.

Maybe just a passive typo (not so massive). I've always used DC in the
context of PDC (I'm old school) and AD as in maybe ADC. Guess I need
to get my acronyms straightened out.
Thanks a bunch for the heads up on the DC upgrade path. Is there
anything that should be done, run or tested after the initial upgrade
to 4.8 or can an immediate upgrade to 4.10 be undertaken?