[Samba] best upgrade path

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Mar 21 14:22:16 UTC 2019

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 10:04:52 -0400
Sonic via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Although these servers have been running great they're on an older
> version 4.6.14, one is an AD the other is a file server. I remember
> there were issues when 4.7.0 was released causing some upgrade issues
> and there may have been some other releases to skip over for various
> reasons as well.
> Is it safe to upgrade directly from 4.6.14 to 4.10.0 (both AD and/or
> member file server)?

Not sure what you mean by 'AD and/or member file server', they are the
same thing really, unless 'AD' is a massive typo for 'DC'. In which
case, the answers are, no, you shouldn't upgrade a DC directly from
4.6.x to 4.10.0, though you can do it in stages, 4.6 to 4.8.x, then to
4.10.0. There have been reports that you can upgrade a DC directly to
4.9.x (and I suppose 4.10.0), then run ldbedit on the DC, but I haven't
tested this.

There should be no problems with upgrading a Unix domain member
directly.

Rowland