[Samba] Problem after deleting a DNS zone

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 26 17:48:32 UTC 2019

On 26/06/2019 18:36, Sergio Belkin via samba wrote:
> I've seen this behaviour:
>
> 1. Create a new DNS zone,eg: example.com
Where did you create the zone ?
> 2. Create a independent DNS server that is now authoritative to example.com
This sounds like you recreated the 'example.com' zone again on another
DNS server that is external to the Samba AD DC
> 3. On samba delete the example.com zone with samba-tool samba-tool dns
> delete.....
>
> The result is that using samba as DNS server it does not resolve example.com
> through recursive query and fails
It wouldn't resolve 'example.com' would it, you have just deleted all
the zone records.

> Am I the only one with issue? I've found a workaround runninf:
>
> samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix and then restarting the service
>
> but it would nice that that was fixed. Or is there a proper way of deleting
> zones that I don't know?
No, you are deleting the zone in the correct way, providing it isn't the
AD dns domain. Your DC's should be authoritative for the AD dns domain
and forward anything unknown to an external DNS server.

Rowland