[Samba] Spring Cleanup / Migrating Samba 4.5 to 4.10

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jun 14 12:36:25 UTC 2019

On 14/06/2019 13:24, Marco Gaiarin via samba wrote:
> Mandi! L.P.H. van Belle via samba
>    In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> For the upgrade path.
>> Read:   https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba
>> And this text file shows some good debian specific info
>> http://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/Upgrade-info.txt
>> Some parts are already fixed, but its mainly making sure the smb.conf is correct for the version your upgradeing to.
>>
>> >From 4.5, i suggest, goto 4.8 then 4.9 then 4.10, if you follow my repo.
>> Its the safest upgrade path as far i know. ( official or my repo )
>>
>> If you want to follow debian official repo, then i suggest, stay on 4.5 or upgrade to 4.8 (my repo) until Debian Buster is released.
>> Thats because my 4.9 version is higher then Debian Official.
>>
>> I personaly do the DC with FSMO roles always first, after the samba upgrade i wait about 5 min,
>> this depends a bit on the AD-DB size/replication time, then reboot the server.
>> Then i do the other DC, same steps.
> I'm a bit confused. In past month many users write here about DB
> corruption on upgrade (to 4.9 atleast).
> Probably i get lost, but i was convinced that the best upgrade path
> was, as Sven wrote, was uninstall samba and rejoin it (migrating FSMO
> roles as needed).
>

> So, a direct upgrade to 4.8 can be done? Thanks.

Yes probably ;-)

There was a new GUID index mode introduced at 4.8.0, so you need to get
to 4.8.x before going further. If you upgrade from a version before
4.8.x to 4.9.x or later, Samba gets confused and thinks it is using the
new GUID index mode when it isn't and it doesn't work correctly.

Rowland