[Samba] Need help on Samba authentication with ldap

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 23 09:22:09 UTC 2019

On 23/07/2019 09:50, Chunduru, Krishnachaithanya wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
> I'm extremely sorry about by.
> Due to the mail client issue, I was not able to read the questions
> asked inline on the trail mails.
I thought it had gone quite ;-)
> I'm gathering more information from my AD team, so that it will be
> help in understanding the issue.
> I tried to answer the below to my knowledge:
> 1) Why do you have to use ldap for authentication ?
>
>   * Our AD team told we won't be able to integrate our linux server to
>     the domain, since both of these servers in different domains all
>     together and suggested to use ldap. We are in touch with them to
>     know if we can change the domain of our linux server to that of
>     the domain.

It gets a bit more involved than that, you will have to use the same DNS
domain, workgroup etc and then join your computers to the AD domain.
> 2) Why can you not join this computer to the AD domain ?
>
>   * Both the servers (AD & Linux) are in different domains.

See above
> c) What is the DC ?
>
>   * This is what I got from AD team, the base
>     DC=bsg,DC=ad,DC=adp,DC=com, but they told they can't share the AD
>     server names.

No, What are they, Windows DCs (if so what version ?) or Samba AD DCs ?

What info do you require from the AD ?

Rowland