[Samba] messy replication

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jul 17 15:22:02 UTC 2019

On 17/07/2019 16:05, Adam Weremczuk via samba wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I'm trying to follow instructions for demoting:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Demoting_a_Samba_AD_DC
>
> I don't think I need to transfer FSMO roles since both controllers own
> them:
Oh dear, you do have a borked AD, only one DC can hold an FSMO role at a
time.

> It looks like dc2 fails to sync data to dc1 because replication is
> broken but I don't care about any data currently on dc2.
>
> I just need to cut the ties safely i.e. dc1 should remain operational.
>
> Make dc1 aware it's now on its own and obliterate dc2.
>
> What's the best way to "force" demotion in this case?

I don't think there is a 'best way'. This used to come up fairly often
in the early days of Samba AD, I think all you can do is to search in
sam.ldb and remove any mention of the old DC, but DO NOT alter the files
under sam.ldb.d, reading this might help:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2014-February/178947.html

Rowland