[Samba] Syncing Sysvol

Jonathon Reinhart jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 12:39:49 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 8:31 AM Joachim Lindenberg <samba at lindenberg.one> wrote:

> >I'm assuming a star topology where only the PDC Emulator has a writable Sysvol, and all "secondary" DCs are pulling from it. For my use cases, this
>  >drastically simplifies the problem.  If the PDC Emulator is not available, the organization will be focused on restoring it; not on creating new GPOs.
> I´d prefer not to assume star only, as you may want to avoid replicating multiple times via a slow link. Obviously this would require a modification or configuration option where to pull changes from (pdc being the default only).
>
> >In that case, as long as libsmbclient maintains the SMB connection to the primary, I think we can be sure that we won't miss any Sysvol changes. If the
> >SMB connection dies, then we can re-connect, and perform a full sync.  Yes?
> I would prefer not to rely on this assumption. And monitoring a (local copy) of DNS is for sure more scalable then many connections (star).
> Regards, Joachim

These are fair points. The domains I'm dealing with have only a few
DCs with fast links.

These work-arounds are supposed to be just a stopgap measure until
DFS-R is implemented in Samba, rigth? I'm curious to know, from the
Samba team, how far out is proper DFS-R replication? If it's not even
on the roadmap, then implementing a super-efficient, bullet-proof tool
like we're discussing might be worth the effort. If it's a year out,
then dealing with the simpler workarounds might be more efficient.

Jonathon