[Samba] Syncing Sysvol

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jul 17 11:15:16 UTC 2019

On 17/07/2019 12:03, Jonathon Reinhart wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2019, 02:47 Rowland penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org>> wrote:
>

> Just trying to get on the same page as you. In my scenario only the
> PDC Emulator ("primary") even has a writable Sysvol share; all other
> DCs are in effect read-only as far as GPOs go. So I don't see how
> multiple DCs could modify Sysvol.

They are all going to have to be writeable, or how are you going to
update them ?

This wasn't what I was getting at though. If Sysvol on the PDC Emulator
is updated and all other DC's are watching for updates, it is very
possible that they will all try to update their Sysvol at the same time.

> In this read-only configuration, *pushing* changes to secondary DCs
> can't be done without using another protocol aside from SMB.
> Furthermore, having secondary DCs pull from the primary avoids any
> extra configuration on the primary: secondaries just use their machine
> password and pull.
This is the snag I have hit upon, fairly easy to use smbclient to copy
Sysvol to each DC in turn, but then getting sysvolreset to run is
another thing entirely.

> This is the way I do it now, and it works fine; secondaries locate PDC
> Emulator via SRV and then rsync. You'd have to really try to convince
> me that a "push" approach is better (assuming read-only Sysvol on
> non-PDC-emulator DCs) :-)

In theory 'push' is better, you get more control of when each DC is
updated, just got to get around the sysvolreset problem.

Rowland